It is important to recognize New Jersey’s firearm permit laws before jumping into the process. Continue reading to learn more and reach out to our skilled Bergen County criminal defense attorney.
Who is eligible to receive a firearm permit in New Jersey?
It is critical to understand whether or not you are qualified to own a gun in New Jersey before you apply for a permit. In the state of New Jersey, the following individuals are not allowed to own a gun:
- Those convicted of aggravated assault, arson, burglary, extortion, homicide, kidnapping, robbery, sexual assault
- Those committed for mental disorder unless there is satisfactory proof they no longer suffer from a disorder that handicaps them from handling a firearm
- Those convicted of the unlawful use, possession, or sale of controlled dangerous substances
- Minors under the age of 18
- Those who are drug dependent
- Those who have physical defects that make them unsafe to handle a firearm
What are the different types of permits?
The state of New Jersey has two different kinds of gun permits that an individual can apply for. They include the following:
- Handgun Purchase Permit: Also referred to as HPP, this is used to apply for the purchase of handguns.
- Firearm Purchaser Identification Card: Known as FPID, this permit is required to buy a rifle, long gun, or shotgun.
You will need to recognize that obtaining a gun permit does not allow you to carry your gun. To be able to do so, you will need to have a license to carry, which is not easy to obtain in the state of New Jersey.
What documents are needed to apply for a gun permit?
To be able to apply for a gun permit, you will need the following documents:
- A passport
- A driver’s license
- 2 references
- An executed Consent for Mental Health Records Search
In addition to this information, the police will conduct a full and detailed background check with the FBI. This consists of a search of the applicant’s mental health records, an examination by the local police, and fingerprinting.
To learn more about firearm permits in New Jersey, reach out to our firm today. Our legal team is on your side.
Contact our Firm
If you are facing criminal charges in New Jersey, you need strong legal defense. Contact the Law Office of Carl Spector for dedicated representation. With over 30 years of experience as both a prosecutor and criminal defense attorney, he offers a unique perspective on how both sides think, and how to best approach each aspect of the case. When your future is on the line, don’t settle for less than the best possible legal representation. Contact an experienced New Jersey criminal defense attorney who will aggressively fight for you. Call today for a free confidential consultation. Let our experience work for you.