Bergen County Juvenile Offense Attorneys

Juvenile Offense Attorneys in Glen Rock, NJ

The state of New Jersey considers anyone under the age of 18 to be a juvenile. With that said, the state deals with juvenile crimes differently than those committed by people over the age of 18. The Law Office of Carl Spector understands how challenging it can be for a parent to learn that their child has been arrested and accused of committing an offense. Our Bergen County law firm is here to guide you through every step moving forward to help protect your child’s future. If your child has been charged with a juvenile offense, you must retain legal representation you can trust. To discuss your child’s situation with an experienced Bergen County criminal defense attorney, contact The Law Office of Carl Spector today.

Juvenile Offenses in New Jersey

When a child under the age of 18 is arrested in New Jersey, their case will be handled differently than traditional adult criminal cases. Generally, juvenile cases are handled in the family division of New Jersey’s Superior Court and are heard by the Juvenile Conference Committee. In lieu of a judge, this Committee of volunteers will decide the outcome of your child’s case. Parents of juvenile offenders must understand that if the offense is very serious, the case can be waived up to adult criminal court. Some of the offenses that can be waived up to criminal court include murder, rape, assault, and other violent acts. This can be a living nightmare for both you and your child, which is why you must hire an experienced attorney who will fight, tooth-and-nail, to protect your child’s future.

Juvenile Representation in New Jersey

The state of New Jersey demands all juvenile offenders are represented by an attorney. Although adults are permitted to waive their rights to legal representation, this is not the case for juveniles. Therefore, as a parent of an accused juvenile, you have no choice but to hire an attorney, and you will be held financially responsible for the associated costs. However, if you believe you are unable to afford the cost of an attorney, you may request the appointment of a public defender. Unfortunately, New Jersey courts oftentimes reject requests for public defenders if they believe the parent or guardian is able to pay for an attorney.

Contact a Bergen County Juvenile Defense Attorney

If your child has been arrested in the state of New Jersey, you must retain the services of an experienced criminal defense attorney. The Law Office of Carl Spector has proudly represented all types of criminal cases, juveniles included, for over 30 years. We are committed to exploring all possible defenses on your child’s behalf and guiding you both through every step of the process. We understand how difficult this situation is for both the accused and their parents, which is why we are ready to do everything in our power to have your child’s charges mitigated, or, in some cases, completely dropped. If you need an experienced attorney on your side, contact The Law Office of Carl Spector today.

Read Our Blog Posts