Note that the state of New Jersey bans driving while under the influence of drugs. This not only spreads to street drugs, for example, cocaine or methamphetamine but also to painkillers and other prescription and over-the-counter drugs. If you were charged with a drugged driving offense, the consequences can be harsh and damaging, varying from fines, community service, and jail time. If you are in this situation, you will need to retain the services of one of our experienced Bergen County juvenile offense attorneys to start crafting your case. At the Law Office of Carl Spector, we will fight for you and your future.
What are the consequences of drugged driving in New Jersey?
In the event that a New Jersey driver is caught driving under the influence of drugs, he or she can expect to face serious and even life-long consequences. When second, third, or even subsequent charges are given for drugged driving, the penalties become more severe and impactful on you and your future. Below are the following penalties for drugged driving in New Jersey:
- A fine between $300-$500
- A period of detainment for 12-48 hours during two consecutive days, no less than six hours each day
- A term of imprisonment for no more than 30 days
- The incapacity to operate a vehicle on highways in New Jersey for seven months to a year
- A fine between $500-$1,000
- Community service for 30 days
- Imprisonment between 48 hours and 90 days
- The inability to operate a vehicle on highways in New Jersey for two years
Third or subsequent offense:
- A fine of $1,000
- Imprisonment for a minimum of 180 days in county jail or a maximum of 90 days in a workhouse
- Participation in drug/alcohol inpatient rehab program approved by the Intoxicated Driver Resource Center
- The inability to operate a vehicle on New Jersey highways for 10 years
- The installation of an ignition interlock device
If you have been charged with one or multiple drugged driving offenses, it is essential for you to reach out to legal professionals right away to start working on defenses for your case. Reach out to our legal team at the Law Office of Carl Spector to speak with an experienced criminal defense attorney today.
Contact our Firm
If you are facing criminal charges in New Jersey, you need strong legal defense. Contact the Law Office of Carl Spector for dedicated representation. With over 30 years of experience as both a prosecutor and criminal defense attorney, he offers a unique perspective on how both sides think, and how to best approach each aspect of the case. When your future is on the line, don’t settle for less than the best possible legal representation. Contact an experienced New Jersey criminal defense attorney who will aggressively fight for you. Call today for a free confidential consultation. Let our experience work for you.