If you commit a crime, there is a good chance you will have a criminal record. A criminal record can impact your life in a number of ways. Read on to learn more about the consequences of a criminal record and how you may benefit from the expungement process.
Long-Term Consequences of a Criminal Record?
A criminal record can impact your life for years to come. Some of the long-term consequences of a record include:
- Difficulty getting and keeping a job. A criminal record can limit the types of jobs available. Employers also tend to conduct background checks. Additionally, employees who are convicted of a crime can get fired from their current job as a result.
- Child custody arrangements. If a person commits a crime, his or her former spouse may use this to prove that this individual is an unfit parent/danger to the child.
- A person’s immigration status. Foreign individuals with a criminal record can be deported or prevented from becoming a future citizen.
- Those who commit a crime more than one time can face worse penalties for each new crime.
What is Expungement?
Expungement allows one to seal a criminal record. This means your criminal record would only be accessible to certain members of law enforcement. This can make it much easier to do things like getting a job. It essentially allows you to move on with your life, without your record following you. That being said, some crimes cannot be expunged. Crimes that cannot be expunged include:
- Aggravated Sexual Assault
- Distribution, sale, or possession with intent to distribute controlled substances
What is the Process of Expungement?
In New Jersey, the expungement process is as follows:
- File the Petition for Expungement, the Order for Hearing, and the Expungement Order
- Write a cover letter detailing all of the documents the court will file
- Distribute copies of these files to any government agency that was involved in your case
- Attend the hearing to obtain a decision on the expungement petition
If you have a criminal record, reach out to our firm to see how we can help.
Contact our Firm
If you are facing criminal charges in New Jersey, you need strong legal defense. Contact the Law Office of Carl Spector for dedicated representation. With over 30 years of experience as both a prosecutor and criminal defense attorney, he offers a unique perspective on how both sides think, and how to best approach each aspect of the case. When your future is on the line, don’t settle for less than the best possible legal representation. Contact an experienced New Jersey criminal defense attorney who will aggressively fight for you. Call today for a free confidential consultation. Let our experience work for you.