It is important to understand New Jersey’s laws for purchasing and owning a firearm in order to be a responsible gun owner. If you have questions about the permit application process or ownership of a firearm, it is in your best interest to reach out to the Law Office of Carl Spector for skilled representation from our experienced New Jersey criminal defense attorneys.
Who is eligible to get a firearm permit in New Jersey?
Before you begin the process of obtaining a firearm in New Jersey, it is important to ascertain whether or not you are qualified to own a gun. The following individuals are not permitted to own a gun in the state of New Jersey:
- Minors under the age of 18.
- Those who are drug dependant.
- Those who have physical defects that make them unsafe to handle a firearm.
- Those convicted of aggravated assault, arson, burglary, extortion, homicide, kidnapping, robbery, or sexual assault.
- Those committed for a mental disorder unless there is enough proof that they no longer suffer from the disorder and are no longer handicapped from handling a firearm.
- Those convicted of unlawful use, possession, or sale of controlled dangerous substances.
What are the different types of firearm permits?
In New Jersey, you can apply for two different types of gun permits. They are as follows:
- Handgun Purchase Permit: Also known as HPP, this is to apply for the purchase of handguns.
- Firearm Purchaser Identification Card: Also known as FPID, this is a permit that is needed in order to be able to purchase a rifle, long gun, or shotgun.
It is important to note that obtaining a firearm permit does not allow you to carry your gun. To be able to carry your gun, you will need to obtain a license to carry, which is very difficult to do in the state of New Jersey.
What do I need in order to apply for a gun permit?
To be able to apply for a firearm permit, you must be able to provide the following:
- A passport
- A driver’s license
- Two references
- An executed Consent for Mental Health Records Search
Additionally, the police will also conduct a full and thorough background check with the FBI. This will include mental health records, fingerprinting, and an investigation by the local police.
Contact our Firm
If you are facing criminal charges in New Jersey, you need strong legal defense. Contact the Law Office of Carl Spector for dedicated representation. With over 30 years of experience as both a prosecutor and criminal defense attorney, he offers a unique perspective on how both sides think, and how to best approach each aspect of the case. When your future is on the line, don’t settle for less than the best possible legal representation. Contact an experienced New Jersey criminal defense attorney who will aggressively fight for you. Call today for a free confidential consultation. Let our experience work for you.