To learn more about the consequences of an underage DWI in New Jersey, continue reading and reach out to an experienced Bergen County criminal defense attorney today.
How does New Jersey define an underage DWI?
The state of New Jersey is a zero-tolerance state, which essentially means that those who drive while intoxicated are expected to face serious life-altering penalties. DWI charges are conditional upon your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) and prior offenses. If you are over 21 years old and you have a BAC of 0.08% or above, you will be charged with a DWI. However, if you are underage and you have a BAC of even 0.01%, you will still be charged with a DWI. If you are facing this charge, do not wait to reach out to our firm today to obtain the legal representation you need.
What are the consequences of an underage DWI?
If you have been charged with an underage DWI, you may encounter the following penalties:
- 15 to 30 days of community service
- A driver’s license suspension between 30 and 90 days
- Completion of alcohol education programs at the Intoxicated Driver Resource Center
- Various fees and fines
What are the possible defenses to this charge?
With an underage DWI, it is likely that you will face some life-long consequences. However, there are a variety of defenses when it comes to a DWI that may be able to be applied to your case. Some of these defenses include the following:
- Failure to abide by the 20-minute rule
- The initial traffic stop was conducted illegally by the law enforcement officer
- Issues with field sobriety tests, including that the officer did not read all of the instructions, the officer did not explain the test, the officer failed to advise you that you can remove your high heels and that you had health issues that inhibit your ability to successfully take the field sobriety test.
No matter which DWI charge you are facing in New Jersey, you will need one of our firm’s experienced Bergen County DUI attorneys on your side. Our firm is prepared to combat your charges and help you get your future back. Call us today.
Contact our Firm
If you are facing criminal charges in New Jersey, you need strong legal defense. Contact the Law Office of Carl Spector for dedicated representation. With over 30 years of experience as both a prosecutor and criminal defense attorney, he offers a unique perspective on how both sides think, and how to best approach each aspect of the case. When your future is on the line, don’t settle for less than the best possible legal representation. Contact an experienced New Jersey criminal defense attorney who will aggressively fight for you. Call today for a free confidential consultation. Let our experience work for you.