If you have been charged with identity theft in New Jersey, you will likely face harsh consequences. Do not hesitate to reach out to our skilled New Jersey criminal defense attorneys today to discuss the specifics of your case and your options. Our firm is dedicated to protecting you and your future.
How does New Jersey define identity theft?
There are many actions that constitute identity theft in New Jersey. Some of the most common examples of identity theft include the following:
- Pretending to represent a person or organization for your benefit or to defraud someone.
- Impersonating or falsely assuming the identity of an individual in order to enrich yourself or defraud someone else.
- Obtaining a person’s identifying information so you can assume that identity to:
- Attain some benefit or service
- Avoid payment of a debt or other legal obligation
- Avoid prosecution for a crime by using the victim’s identity.
What are the penalties of identity theft in New Jersey?
Instances of identity theft have increased along with technological advancements. Because of this, New Jersey has become more strict on identity theft laws in recent years. If you have been charged with identity theft, you will likely face the following:
- If you have stolen less than $500, there is only one victim, and it is the offender’s first offense, this is a fourth-degree crime. This can end in up to 18 months in prison and a fine of up to $10,000
- If the amount that was stolen is between $500 and $750,000, or there are two to four victims involved, this is a third-degree crime, potentially resulting in three to five years in prison and a fine of up to $15,000.
- If more than $75,000 are stolen or there are five or more victims, this level of theft is considered a second-degree crime, leading to five to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $150,000.
If you have been charged with identity theft, no matter how severe, you will need an experienced criminal defense attorney on your side. Contact the Law Office of Carl Spector today to discuss your options with our dedicated legal team.
Contact our Firm
If you are facing criminal charges in New Jersey, you need strong legal defense. Contact the Law Office of Carl Spector for dedicated representation. With over 30 years of experience as both a prosecutor and criminal defense attorney, he offers a unique perspective on how both sides think, and how to best approach each aspect of the case. When your future is on the line, don’t settle for less than the best possible legal representation. Contact an experienced New Jersey criminal defense attorney who will aggressively fight for you. Call today for a free confidential consultation. Let our experience work for you.