The state of New Jersey prohibits driving while under the influence of drugs. This not only applies to street drugs (i.e. cocaine or methamphetamine,) but also to painkillers and other prescription and over-the-counter drugs. If you were charged with a drugged driving offense, the consequences can be harsh and detrimental, ranging from fines, community service, and jail time. It is in your best interest to retain an experienced New Jersey criminal defense attorney to begin working on your case. At the Law Office of Carl Spector, we will aggressively fight for you and your future. Contact us today to get started.
What are the Penalties of Drugged Driving in New Jersey?
If a driver is charged with a drugged driving offense, the consequences will likely be harsh. When second, third, or even subsequent charges are given for drugged driving, the penalties become more serious and impactful on you and your future. Here are the following penalties for drugged driving:
- First offense:
- A fine between $300-$500
- A period of detainment for 12-48 hours during two consecutive days, no less than six hours each day
- A term of imprisonment for no more than 30 days
- The inability to operate a vehicle on highways in New Jersey for seven months to a year
- Second offense:
- A fine between $500-$1,000
- Community service for 30 days
- Imprisonment between 48 hours and 90 days
- The inability to operate a vehicle on highways in New Jersey for two years
- Third or subsequent offense:
- A fine of $1,000
- Imprisonment for a minimum of 180 days in county jail or a maximum of 90 days in a workhouse
- Participation in drug/alcohol inpatient rehab program approved by the Intoxicated Driver Resource Center
- The inability to operate a vehicle on New Jersey highways for 10 years
- The installation of an ignition interlock device
If you have been charged with one or multiple drugged driving offenses, it is important for you to reach out to legal professionals as soon as possible to begin working on defenses for your case. Contact our legal experts at the Law Office of Carl Spector to speak with a dedicated criminal law attorney today.
Contact our Firm
If you are facing criminal charges in New Jersey, you need strong legal defense. Contact the Law Office of Carl Spector for dedicated representation. With over 30 years of experience as both a prosecutor and criminal defense attorney, he offers a unique perspective on how both sides think, and how to best approach each aspect of the case. When your future is on the line, don’t settle for less than the best possible legal representation. Contact an experienced New Jersey criminal defense attorney who will aggressively fight for you. Call today for a free confidential consultation. Let our experience work for you.