Our firm understands that a criminal record can be life-altering. Fortunately, with the help of an attorney, you may be able to expunge it from your record. To learn more about New Jersey’s new 2020 laws on expungements, reach out to our skilled Bergen County criminal defense attorneys.
What are expungements in New Jersey?
In New Jersey, expungement is the method by which all records concerning a criminal conviction will be removed from your record. However, it is important to recognize that this does not mean that the case disappears entirely. But rather, only a limited number of government agencies will have admission to the information after expungement and only for restricted purposes. Additionally, not every criminal offense can be expunged in New Jersey.
Reach out to our firm today to learn more about expungements and how our firm can best serve you. Our legal team is on your side no matter what. Give us a call today.
What are the 2020 changes to New Jersey’s expungement law?
Recently, the state of New Jersey revised its expungement laws in 2020. The new laws are as follows:
- If you have obtained an unrelated conviction prior to your most recent conviction, you may now have the most current conviction expunged as long as it is qualified for expungement.
- Many marijuana-related convictions will now be considered disorderly persons offenses instead of criminal convictions when it comes to expungement. This will expand the number of marijuana convictions that a person may expunge.
- You now only have to wait 5 years from the completion of your sentence to request an expungement.
- “Early pathways” expungements allow for a person to petition for expungement within 4 years of the completion of the sentence.
- You can now have up to five disorderly persons convictions expunged from your record.
- The “clean slate” expungement will now allow individuals to expunge all expugnable offenses 10 years after their most recent conviction.
To learn more about the new 2020 expungement laws in New Jersey, reach out to one of our skilled Bergen County criminal defense attorneys today. Our legal team is equipped with the knowledge and experience required to ensure that
Contact our Firm
If you are facing criminal charges in New Jersey, you need strong legal defense. Contact the Law Office of Carl Spector for dedicated representation. With over 30 years of experience as both a prosecutor and criminal defense attorney, he offers a unique perspective on how both sides think, and how to best approach each aspect of the case. When your future is on the line, don’t settle for less than the best possible legal representation. Contact an experienced New Jersey criminal defense attorney who will aggressively fight for you. Call today for a free confidential consultation. Let our experience work for you.