Many young adults wait anxiously to turn 21 so that they can drink alcohol legally. But, some teenagers drink before they are legally able to do so. This is dangerous, especially when these teens make the decision to drive while intoxicated. Read on to learn more about underage DWIs in New Jersey.
What Constitutes an Underage DWI?
New Jersey takes DWIs very seriously. New Jersey is a zero-tolerance state, which means it holds those who drive while intoxicated accountable. DWI charges are dependent upon your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) and your prior offenses. In New Jersey, if you are over 21 years old and you have a BAC of .08% or above, you will be charged with a DWI. But, if you are underage and you have a BAC of even .01%, you will be charged with a DWI.
What are the Penalties for an Underage DWI?
If you receive an underage DWI, you may face the following penalties:
- A driver’s license suspension between 30 and 90 days
- 15 to 30 days of community service
- Completion of alcohol education programs at the Intoxicated Driver Resource Center
- Various fees and fines
What are Potential Defenses for a DWI?
If you receive a DWI, you may face serious penalties. But, there are a variety of defenses when it comes to a DWI. Some of these defenses include:
- The initial traffic stop was conducted illegally by the law enforcement officer
- Failure to abide by the 20-minute rule
- Issues with field sobriety tests, including that the officer failed to read all of the instructions, the officer did not demonstrate the test, the officer failed to inform you that you can remove your high heels, and that you had health issues that inhibit your ability to successfully take the field sobriety test.
If you are facing DWI charges in New Jersey, you will need the help of a skilled criminal defense attorney. Our firm is here to advocate for you. We will explore all possible avenues of defense. Reach out today to discuss your case with an experienced and dedicated attorney.
Contact our Firm
If you are facing criminal charges in New Jersey, you need strong legal defense. Contact the Law Office of Carl Spector for dedicated representation. With over 30 years of experience as both a prosecutor and criminal defense attorney, he offers a unique perspective on how both sides think, and how to best approach each aspect of the case. When your future is on the line, don’t settle for less than the best possible legal representation. Contact an experienced New Jersey criminal defense attorney who will aggressively fight for you. Call today for a free confidential consultation. Let our experience work for you.