New Jersey is known for having some of the strictest gun laws in the country. As a result, gun crimes are taken seriously and can carry severe penalties. Read on to learn more about the most common gun crimes and the associated consequences.
How Do I Apply for a Permit?
In order to apply for a gun permit, you will need:
- A passport
- A driver’s license
- 2 references
- An executed Consent for Mental Health Records Search
Along with this information, the police will conduct a full and thorough background check with the FBI. This consists of a search of the applicant’s mental health records, an investigation by the local police, and fingerprinting.
Gun and Weapons Offenses in NJ
It is no secret that New Jersey’s gun laws are very restrictive, meaning that not everyone can lawfully purchase, possess, or use a gun. Individuals must obtain certain permits to purchase and carry firearms. Some of the many weapons offenses in New Jersey include the following:
- Possession of a gun without a valid New Jersey permit
- Possession of an unregistered gun
- Possession of a stolen gun
- Unlawful carry, whether open or concealed
- Bringing weapons, legal or illegal, into New Jersey from out of state
- Possession of an assault rifle
- Possession of a sawed-off shotgun
- Unlawful possession of a BB gun or airsoft gun
- Unlawful possession of a baseball bat, crowbar, or knife for criminal purposes
New Jersey Firearms Charges and Consequences
Some of the charges you may face for violating gun laws in the state of New Jersey include the following:
- The unlawful possession of a rifle or shotgun is a crime in the third degree
- The unlawful possession of a spring gun or air gun is a crime in the third degree
- The unlawful possession of a machine gun, handgun, or assault rifle is a crime in the second degree
If you are facing a weapons charge, you will need a skilled attorney to fight on your behalf. Reach out to our firm to speak with a dedicated criminal defense attorney.
Contact our Firm
If you are facing criminal charges in New Jersey, you need strong legal defense. Contact the Law Office of Carl Spector for dedicated representation. With over 30 years of experience as both a prosecutor and criminal defense attorney, he offers a unique perspective on how both sides think, and how to best approach each aspect of the case. When your future is on the line, don’t settle for less than the best possible legal representation. Contact an experienced New Jersey criminal defense attorney who will aggressively fight for you. Call today for a free confidential consultation. Let our experience work for you.